Sunday, August 23, 2009

remember the old days?

Jamos and I have been doing quite a bit of soul searching lately. For meaning and purpose in our world/lives. We want to make a real difference. But where? Doing what? We are in the right place, where the Lord has called us, but, is he going to call us elsewhere at somepoint?

Both Jamos and I grew up madly in love with missions work. In high school, I worked in our missions office at my church, knew every missionaries name that our church supported, cried during missions week because I knew that I was going to be a missionary. Well, I went off to college, majored in communications, got a job at SAU, and have been there ever since. Where did that passion go? Was it supposed to go away? I went to Russia and Chicago, all on a mission to serve those around me. Building relationships, playing with kids, worshiping our God....it was the height of my relationship with the Lord and of when I truly felt alive.

Jamos has always loved missions as well, serving in Haiti and Mexico as well as NYC. He wanted to be a missionary dentist- helping people. When we met, we were like, missions, yea! But, then, what happens? Life takes us on a different course- not that it is a bad course, but, it does make you wonder if this was the course we were supposed to take together.

This weekend for me has been emotional as those feelings are remembered, those times in my life, when I was 17 years old and a much different person than I am now.

So, of course, our lives will tick on as usual, move in day for SAU is just around the corner, MarriagePrep work never stops and of course our Masters Classes start next MONDAY- so let the books crack open and our lives be educated in organizational management also known as OM. (I started to read a little early...). Jamos will be hard at work doing Sears trainings all week. But what is on our minds is worlds away, across oceans perhaps. We want to serve. We want to trust, we want to be stripped down to the basics of life- living as the Lord tells us, not as society says. It is a leap of faith for SURE. This is not something I was planning even 2 weeks ago- but, we will pray, and seek wisdom- to see what our future holds.
I have also been angry. It is quite disappointing to feel like my "peak" of life was when I was in high school- serving in other countries. How was I so wise beyond my time to be THAT involved already? And, what happened AFTER graduation that changed me. It is quite aggrevating to me.

Keep us in your prayers, for our marriage, for our future- for us to be content and fully knowing we are in the exact place we are supposed to be right now. We of course, eaglerly anticipate doors opening, and of course, will be looking for "signs" (if that is even a true thing to say-I have no idea) and who is to say WHEN this will happen. We may be 80 years old, finally having the doors open for us- you just don't know. Also pray for my anxiety! This surely brings it on in myself.

I am sharing my heart in this blog, please, be kind. We don't really know anything else, we are just sharing our hearts from this weekend's emotional realization. As Jamos tells me, these are all just thoughts, hopes, dreams- nothing is actually HAPPENING, which calms me down a little, since change is VERY hard for me!


OKAY- enough HEAVY stuff- let me tell you about our weekend. Friday night was PIZZA NIGHT! We watched a movie, "Phoebe in wonderland" which was quite an interesting movie. We did some reading, made homemade pizza (I even make my own crust now!) and went to bed early, because the next day, Jamos was scheduled to do an event at a Home Depot in Lake Jackson. Well, I have never been to Lake Jackson, TX, so I wanted to tag along....we got up early, drove an hour away and ended in Lake Jackson. I helped Jamos for a bit, and then, took a lunch break and drove without gettings lost and NO directions to the Sea Center Texas- which looked a LOT cooler on the website than actually being there. I signed in- saw some stuffed fish on the wall- all native to the gulf coast region (I was told by the 90 year old man at the welcome booth) he told me that they had a "touch tank" which was open to kids of ALL ages! I was super excited to touch my hands to some pretty fish!! Well....scratch that- as I made my way around the corner, there was the touch tank....about the size of a bathtub, with some sand, and empty shells and some minnows, which looked like they came from Lime Lake. It was sad. After about 5 minutes of looking at the large tanks of fish, with examples of the gulf coast, such as a marsh area, a sea wall, and a pond, I was done! Talk about a bummer! I did take a nice stroll along the boardwalk- to see the birds....sea gulls....and some sand pipers... plus it was like 383 degrees out there.

After the event, we stopped at Sonic, and then, got in the car for the drive home but not before stopping on the corner of THIS WAY and THAT WAY. Seriously. NOT JOKING. Pictures are coming soon. We found it...and if you go this way and than that way- you will get there.......

We did not want to miss out on a stop to see the HUGE statue of "THE FATHER OF TEXAS" Quiz: Who is the father of texas?

Answer: STEPHEN AUSTIN.

And for your viewing pleasure, there is a HUGE statue of him off the highway. We stopped, took pictures and I got some bit by a fire ant. Jerk.

Once home, we made our way to the mall. Unfortunely, it is TAX FREE WEEKEND in texas- and that brings people out in HOARDS. WORSE THAN CHRISTMAS. Our TEA POT, which I blogged about a while back, that was an issue to begin with...has been an issue for the entire month we owned it. It was expensive, but thinking it was quality and hand made, we kept it. Until the paint started chipping on the inner lid....
Try talking to some japanese lady at the mall store....I have called corporate customer service 2 times about it- and the store, more than I can count. This tea pot was apparently the LAST one in the WORLD. No more replacement pot for us. Well, that was the ONE that we liked the best, fit into our budget (cast iron tea pots can be rather $$$$) so, we finally decided to part ways with the stupid thing. So, we got our money back and now I don't have to worry about THAT anymore. Whew.

As I was driving from the mall, I see a group of people, outside neiman marcus, looking in the opposite direction (towards where I was driving) then, I see a police officer start to run...and then I see 3 men RACE across the street on foot- as I am driving towards them, not knowing what the heck is going on....then, GUNS PULLED...I realize those are 2 undercover cops, chasing down a "bad" guy. They got him- he must have fallen, or they stun gunned him or something- cause he was laying on the side walk while the other cop got him in handcuffs. It was pretty awesome to witness that. Glad they caught him! I love it when Good prevails evil.

Jamos and I are also not watching much (or any) tv (and who really needs to living in h-town apparently, we have "COPS" right outside our doors.
This is also a new change of events in the Mitchell home. I am totally fine with this idea, since I do believe we had too many FAVORITE tv shows. Jamos was listening to a book on tape and the book put it quite well. He kept saying Over and over and over to stop watching tv he asked, "what good is this doing for you?" "what are you actually getting from tv?" things like that to spark up good convo basically- but we realized it is TRUE. What do we get from knowing who won the biggest looser or top chef? Does it really make a difference in our lives? NO! And, we just wasted the ENTIRE night- sitting on the couch staring at the TV. B O R I N G. Talk about not LIVING. It is SO stinking true. And, I have gotten MUCH DONE with out watching the "boob toob" I actually got around to organizing my jewelry- since it usually gets totally tangled and I can't find any earrings that match- I have actually PUT AWAY the clothes, etc., We have spent more time reading and talking- and apparently have divine revelations about our future (not so sure about this one!) We DO still watch movies. So, that is like, 1.5 hours- but we used to do BOTH, movies and TV. ridiculous.

If we can keep this up, we will cancel our cable- which will save us a nice chunk of cash.

:)

No comments: